Once I heard the term " In-Memory Database" , i thought its new appliance like exadata...
Its not true..
What is In-Memory database?
All the data can be read or manipulated from memory only. This is true for all oracle database.
In most of the well tuned oracle systems >95% request, data can be retrieved from memory and few request going to disk. In this case how In-memory database going to benefit for business?
In data world, majority of the system classified as OLTP and another one is decision support system. Customer always necessary to maintain both type of system for their business requirements.
Oracle In Memory database accelerates both DSS and mixed workload OLTP databases.
No more required 2 separate systems.
Easily deployed under any existing application which is running on oracle and no application changes are required.
- Supports both OLTP and DSS in single system (reduce the cost for maintenance/support)
- Achieve the extreme performance of database any size( Data can be in column format )
- Real time answers for OLTP and smarter decision for analytics.
- Not required any changes on application end.
- Supports the existing hardware (Additional Memory required on database server)
- Compatible with 12c (18.104.22.168)
- In-Memory column store is a separately licensed option of Oracle Database Enterprise Edition.
Lets discuss more architecture details in an another post soon